Building garnome-2.8.2

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 20:30:04 MST 2004

(1) Go fetch the software

	http://cipherfunk.org/garnome/

I chose the "stable" version, garnome-2.8.2

(2) Unpack the software and study the README.

(3) Modify gar.conf.mk
* decide where you would like the compiled software installed.
I chose /opt and set

		main_prefix ?= /opt/garnome

* decide if you would like to use ccache.
  If so, uncomment the two lines for ccache support [see line 176].

(4) Build the required bootstrap packages in ./bootstrap
* ccache [if you decided to use it.  I did]
* hal [which will automatically build a dbus]

(5) Do it...
cd desktop
make paranoid-install

Discussion

GARNOME is a wonder. It fetches and builds in the proper order whatever
is needed to run GNOME.

The bootstrap step preps your GARNOME environment, adding required
non-GNOME packages [see the README].

The "make paranoid-install" process fetches and builds everything with
the proviso that it will stop on the first error encountered.  This is a
good thing.

So what can go wrong?

Some of the version dependencies are wrong. The good news is the
paranoid-install build  picks them up. So..., you could just blindly
kick off "make paranoid-install"  and fix things every time the build
process dies. Or...,  I could tell you where the problems are and how to
fix them so you could fix them before you kick off the build. Your
choice.

Let's look building hal, which will show you in general what to do.

What you would normally do is:
* cd ./bootstrap/hal
* make install

Try it.  You will find that the make fails because MASTER_SITES is
incorrect. It should be

	MASTER_SITES = http://freedesktop.org/~david/

The second thing you will learn when you visit the above URL is
GARVERSION has also changed:

	GARVERSION = 0.4.2

Make these two changes to the Makefile and run "make install" again. The
tarball will download, but the make process will die while validating
the md5 checksum. This is not a big problem to fix.

The tarball file was downloaded into

	./bootstrap/hal/download

Run md5sum on that file:

	dd3469f1b501879719fa47795a0f48fb  hal-0.4.2.tar.gz

and use the output to modify the checksum file,

	./bootstrap/hal.checksums

Now run "make install" once more and hal will build and install.

So what else did I encounter besides hal?

* ./desktop/evolution-dataserer

	GARVERION = 1.1.1

* ./desktop/gtksourceview

	GARVERSION=1.1.1

Anything else that needs fixing??? Yes...

I have replaced [renamed directories and used links] the 2.40.20 kernel
header files,

	/usr/include/linux
	/usr/include/asm -> /usr/include/asm-ppc
	/usr/include/asm-ppc64

with 2.6.9 kernel header files , which I believe is the right thing to
do. There are some issues:

* ./desktop/gnome-applets-2.8.2
	/usr/include/linux/crc-ccitt.h

	replace u8 => __u8
	replace u16 => __u16

  see /usr/include/linux/types.h

* ./desktop/gnome_utils-2.8.1/gfloppy

	/usr/include/linux/prio_tree.h

	add below "#define _LINUX_PRIO_TREE_H":

                #ifndef pgoff_t
                #define pgoff_t unsigned long
                #endif

That's it...

Kick off:

	make paranoid-install > make_paranoid-install.log 2>&1 &

and walk away.

When you come back and find that everything built, you are ready to try
your new desktop.

* Create a new user with a new home directory.
  [This is a VERY good idea.]

* From the README create:

   - garnome-session

   - .xinitrc
     [start with something simple.]

* make garnome-session executable

	chmod +x garnome-sesssion

* move garnome-session to somewhere in the search path like

	/usr/local/bin/

* mv .xinitrc into the new user's home directory.

* change the ownership of .xinitrc to the new user

* log out

* log in as the new user.

If all goes well you should see the GARNOME splash screen.

If you like what you see, your next exercise is to learn how to modify
the GNOME menus and panels so you can get back all the menu and panel
items that Terrasoft originally set up for you.

Have fun.

-Joseph

--
Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>