Building garnome-2.8.2

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 06:34:39 MST 2004

GARNOME Frequently Asked Questions
1. General Information
1.1 Can I install GARNOME without breaking my current GNOME setup?
Sure, that's part of what GARNOME is for! By default, it will install to
~/garnome/ and not effect any of your existing GNOME packages. It may
affect your configuration files though, so you ought to back them up or
use a totally different user to run GARNOME. (Paul Drain)

1.2 Can I install GARNOME over the top of my existing GNOME setup?
You could, but you shouldn't! (and we won't support you if you do)

GARNOME isn't a package based setup, it installs from GNOME tarballs
with patches. If you install GARNOME into /usr (for example), you will
overwrite your system setup with the software we provide.

All of your configuration will be overwritten, all of your settings
could vanish, all of the development libraries will be installed and you
will destroy any knowledge your packaging software (RPM, dpkg, etc) has
about your setup.

A user can certainly get themselves in trouble if they do not need these
warnings.

Kindly note that I had suggested:

(1) Installation of GARNOME under /opt
(2) Running GARNOME from a new user account.

Follow these two suggestions and your YDL based accounts will remain
"pristine".

-Joseph

--
Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>