Ubuntu Distro & G3 and older machines

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:38:54 MST 2004

On 17 Dec 2004 14:38:25 -0500, Derick Centeno <aguilarojo at verizon.net> wrote:
> In an attempt to provide some useful boundaries regarding the Ubuntu
> distro the facts are that they do NOT support ANY system as old and
> older than G3 machines.  If you are using a brand new shiny machine --
> great, live long and prosper, and use whatever you wish.  But YDL has a
> long history of supporting these older macs AND the older distributions
> although no longer sold ARE still available for download throughout
> various parts of the net.

I was hoping these threads would die a quick death (but, since they
haven't I may as well kick them again and try to send them into the
abyss ;).

According to users on Ubuntu's user lists, U is installing and running
on pre-G3 machines, and someone's even gone to trouble of writing a
wiki on the subject
(<https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallOnOldWorldMacs>). AFAIK, no
different from YDL 4, with the bonus of not having to recompile the
YDL 4 kernel!

> And although YDL 4.0 will not be supported on G3, it doesn't mean that
> it can't run on G3s.  The difficulty as in all things Linux, is in the
> details and there are people working on that problem for YDL.

The devil certainly is in the details. Time will tell whether Ubuntu
becomes the killer distro. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the
fruits of the "distro wars".

Eric.