Item of interest? FC3 for PPC

Christopher Murtagh christopher.murtagh at mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 20 08:32:34 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 19:12 -0800, Ken Barber wrote:
> On Saturday 18 December 2004 9:34 am, andersoc at msoe.edu wrote:
>
> >   I have used Fedora Core 1, 2, and 3 on my PC laptop.  Fedora Core 2 is
> > the worst of the bunch. I was recently trying to help a friend out with
> > Fedora Core 2, also on his PC laptop, and it was a huge PITA.
>
> I agree.  I got flamed big-time for saying so publicly when I reviewed it for
> Newsforge, but I call 'em as I see 'em.

 FWIW, I had FC2 running on my two desktops (home and work) exclusively
and never had any problems with it at all, in fact, I was very happy
with it. Were the problems that you mentioned laptop related?

> As someone who gets paid to write about these things, I would urge you not to
> judge YDL 4 on the basis of its parentage (i.e., FC 2).  I've been
> using/testing YDL 4 here for a couple of weeks now, and it hasn't b0rken yet.
> It's very solid, very stable, and has none of FC2's problems.

 I'll have to agree with this too. YDL4 came out quite a bit after FC2,
(actually closer to FC3) and Owen and gang did a lot to iron out a lot
of the kinks (mostly with Anaconda from what I heard). Also, many of the
packages in YDL4 are newer than what were in FC2, most notably KDE.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Christopher Murtagh