Airport card, hostap and WPA supplicant

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Dec 21 11:13:27 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 11:07, joev_nylxs at pipeline.com wrote:
> I have a TI laptop with YDL 2.3, Kernal 2.4.20. My building has just
> installed wireless broadband but they use WPA for authentication. The
> people who set up this system said I need to get the hostap driver and
> WPA supplicant.
>
> The build for hostap went fine with no errors. When I run modprobe, to
> load the hostap driver, I get an error that says the device cannot be
> found.
>
> Has anyone had any sucess with this?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

According to a reference which you may examine at:
http://hostap.epitest.fi/

You may not need it as the Apple's builtin wireless card (if you have
it) supports the latest defined Wifi and hostap is for Prism hardware
support.  If you don't have the wireless card then all you need is
Apple's wireless portable thingy which plugs in anywhere and you've got
an instant wireless network again if you have a card installed your
laptop.

You should be able to do fine using Apple's latest OS X software which
is more stable and secure than any Linux environment anyway. But if you
must use Linux then you must at least upgrade your YDL to at least YDL
3.0.1 and upgrade your kernel to at least linux 2.6.5 or later.  Then
your linux kernel and drivers will be more current to interface with
other systems from the Linux side.