Xorg version 6.8

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 06:25:10 MST 2004

Geert,

I have built xorg-6.8 two ways:
* using Fedora source rpms
* downloading source from Xorg

There is nothing very special about the build. It just takes a lot of
cycles to complete.

The Fedora route, using

	xorg-x11-6.8.1.901-1.src.rpm

adds dependencies that requires you to also build the Fedora version of
the fonts,

	fonts-xorg-6.8.1.1-1.src.rpm

The Xorg-source route has instructions on how to set up a separate
installation of Xorg in a separate install tree so you do not trash your
existing installation

	http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/CvsPage

This is a good thing.

I have encountered one problem that has prevented me from upgrading to
6.8. There is something amiss with the cursor bitmap that renders the
cursor invisible. The cursor is there and does respond to the mouse. If
I move the mouse I can see "bit flickering" so I can sort of guess where
the cursor is. Mouse buttons also work.

I briefly looked into the cursor issue and came across some posts
regarding cursor bitmap / endian issues.  When I get some time I will
look further.

-Joseph

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 08:00, Geert Janssens wrote:
> YDL 4 comes with Xorg v6.6 (rpm xorg-x11-0.0.6.6-0.0.2004_03_11.9.ydl.1).
>
> The v6.8 release though comes with DRI support for Mach64 graphical
> chips (such as ATI Rage LT, ATI Rage II found in many Old World Macs).
> This added support is of great interest to me.
>
> My question is, has anyone tried to compile the 6.8.x release on YDL?
> What were the difficulties ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Geert Jan
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net