Why gnome-cd is silient: web gossip

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 08:17:28 MST 2004

Thank you, Eric.

Additional web searching has validated this claim.  Both Gnome's
gnome-cd and KDE's kscd expect analog data, which why they are both
silent on Macs that utilize digital audio extraction.

Currently,  I am using xmms, which supports digital audio extraction. At
Derick Centeno's suggestion,  I will take a look at xine,

	http://www.xinehq.de/

-Joseph

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 10:02, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> The original post on this subject summed it up succinctly...
>
> PS Another consideration in this story is that external CD-ROMs can be
> convinced to play CDs independently of the computer (provided you have
> a pair of headphones).
>
> Eric.
>
> Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D.
> Dec 21 (17 hours ago)
> Spreading gossip without validation is both dangerous and rude.  That
> being said, I found the following while cruising the web:
>
>        The problem here is that Gnome CD Player does not (yet) do
>        digital audio extraction. Macintoshes (and many newer pcs) do
>        not have an analog audio cable going from the cd drive to the
>        sound card, which is what Gnome CD Player expects. Thus, modern
>        machines such as these must read audio CDs as data and do the
>        D/A conversion themselves instead of it happening in the CD-ROM
>        drive.
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net