Xine supports digital audio extraction

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Dec 23 10:48:29 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 13:38, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Derick,
>
> I am a product of the 60's, although I really don't remember all that
> much about those times. My memories of the 60's are now just "Purple
> Haze" [:-)].
>

> Be well,
>

> -Joseph

Well, that is fascinating!  It may interest you to know that I was a kid
during those years, and while the original legendary Woodstock was
happening I was working on my first job that summer.  I graduated from
my high school in 1973, but that school was no ordinary place.  It was 5
blocks (less than a 10 minute walk) from the famous Filmore East and St.
Marks where everybody who was anybody "hung out" and jammed at the local
cafes.  Jimi Hendrix, Janice, Melanie and many more were regulars we
kids could listen to their music for free; they thought it cute that we
were members of the high school band and so as part of our musical
education ...we got the instruction of a lifetime.  Cooper Union is
walking distance from there as well, as is NYU and it's Washington
Square.

That I graduated at all in that kind of heady, really heady, creative
environment is a miracle at all.  A few years later the Filmore East and
these wonderful people and others were all gone and though the
creativity is still there in that region -- it is different.  Creativity
and exploration of concepts or experience of a "happening" was a warm
invitation, there was then a respect for an individual's choice to NOT
engage...or whatever.  It was always "cool", however one chose.

I miss that spirit.  So much today is an anxiety of joining this or
that... a massive public, nearly planet-wide neurosis as one way as the
right way...the fear of a plurality of views and beliefs is a sad thing
to witness.

Yet where there is Music there are the Muses and Hope abides, yet, that
the warmth and easy acceptance of being a human being, as a value in the
very fact of just being human, as it was in those years -- will return
again in a stronger, wiser and perhaps more lasting wave of awareness.

PAX AETERNAM