turning off localhost?

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Wed Dec 29 11:32:33 MST 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 6:38 pm, njcross wrote:
> I'm trying to remember a gui program in earlier YDL distros
> that showed localhost,loopback etc with buttons that would connect or
> disconnect them from the system. Can anyone remember the correct name
> of that program?
> Which is the best way of disconnecting localhost from the system?

Depends on which system is named 'localhost'.  I guess you could always unplug
the network cable.

Unless 'localhost' is your own system.  In that case, I guess you would issue
a shutdown command.

Now, if you're not talking about a system named 'localhost', but a NETWORK
INTERFACE named "loopback" -- then you need a whole different set of
instructions.

Ask the wrong question, you'll get the wrong answer.

Ken