Yum Update: Great in Theory not in Practice

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 06:45:21 MST 2004

> > Yum update fails each time I try, I get about 20% of the kernel-sources
> > and then it stops.  Just like that, the connection, poof.  I've tried
<snip>
> > So to sum it all up, what's a better yum.conf not just for reliable
> > updates but also for "other" packages?
>
> Try researching the documentation on the YDL FAQ website.  You may find
> something there helpful, especially if you search around a bit.  Here is
> the link:
>
> http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

What is the problem with YDL's yum repository? Is it that the server
on which it sits is overloaded, yum is inefficient or a combination
thereof? The reason I ask is that Ubuntu's update server seems to
serve the installed userbase on both platforms and consistently serves
up d/ls at ~180 K/sec through my connection. I find it odd that there
would be such a large difference (probably a significantly larger
installed user base by now) -- perhaps it's yum's way of downloading a
header for _each and every_ file rather than an index that cripples
yum?

PS On a happier note: I installed a PHP package called gallery onto my
YDL 3.0.1 and really like what you can do with it (share galleries of
pictures, easily) (now to figure out what permissions are preventing
me from uploading larger files... the error message during the install
said Apache wasn't behaving nicely wrt .htaccess IIRC).

Eric.