KDE + ALSA revisited...

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Fri Dec 31 14:44:38 MST 2004

Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I had set those permissions earlier. Still... One never knows, so I
switched to the root user and set them once more.

The results are the same:

        startkde: Starting up...
        mkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
        kbuildsycoca running...
        SetClientVersion: 0 8
        ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START
        failed: Broken pipe
        ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START
        failed: Broken pipe
        ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START
        failed: Broken pipe
        _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
        X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
        2
          Major opcode:  102
          Minor opcode:  0
          Resource id:  0x0
        Klipper is already running!

When I bring up the sound system dialog in KDE control center and click
on Test_Sound, a recognizable sound is heard within a sea of white
noise. Testing any of the system notifications has the same result.

To eliminate anything that I may have done building the kernel,  I reran
the test using the 2.6.9 SMP kernel supplied by YDL.  The results are
the same.

So... There is something else amiss.

-Joseph

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net