Upgrading YDL 2.0

Rob Admin yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 4 07:13:01 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 8:48 AM,
yellowdog-general-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
> From: "Rich Florzak" <rflicker7@hotmail.com>
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
> Subject: RE: Upgrading YDL 2.0
> Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 05:46:47 -0800
>
>> Hi, I have YDL 2.0 installed on a PowerBook 2400. I would like to
>> upgrade
>> it to 2.3 or 3.0. I have >tried using yup, but keep getting a "URL job
>> failed" error no matter which mirror I point to. I wasn't >able to
>> install
>> the apt package either using the instructions on the 'how to load apt'
>> page. Could >someone help me out and tell me how to upgrade my tools
>> and
>> then my distribution?
>
> Unfortunately, what you are trying to do is not possible. Yellow Dog 2
> is a
> broken distribution, and yup cannot be used to upgrade the
> distribution,
> just upgrade packages (sometimes). It has terrible problems with
> dependencies. That is why it was abandoned. YDL2 has other problems as
> well,
> and is obsolete with too many problems for it to be supported. It
> didn't
> really stabilize until YDL 2.2.
>
> Why are you trying to use apt?

I was trying to use apt because when I updated the mirror file from the
master list, it says:

***
NOTE: apt-get is now the recommended upgrade tool for Yellow Dog Linux
2.2 and newer. For more details, please see:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/apt-
get.shtml
***

So it just doesn't work??? When I configured YDL2 2 years ago or so I
was astonished at how fragile the whole thing was. I've done a lot of
Linux on PC's, so am used to the lack of documentation, but it seemed
beyond the pale. I suppose I'm not surprised that it's broken.

So how does one go about upgrading the distribution? Just reinstall
completely from the iso's? That sucks.

-Rob