adsl internet

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 8 07:34:01 2004

Mr. Jegorovas:

LEONIDAS JEGOROVAS <zydas AT tiscali DOT co DOT uk>
wrote:
> I have read your reply and did everything you said,
> but unfortunately a mishap did occur:
> the 'adsl-status' gives the following output:
> adsl-status: Link is attached to ppp0, but ppp0 is
> down.

Hmmm.... That is a poser....

What do you see if you look at Menu -> System Settings
-> Network? I have two entries, one for eth0 and one
for ppp0 (which is of type "xDSL"). One can activate
or deactivate individual devices from this control
panel. I don't know what any of it means, but it might
give you a little more information.

Also, when you restart your computer, what do you see
during the startup sequence with regards to eth0? If
my DSL modem is down, or I have some other problem
with my network, the startup sequence hangs for a bit
while bringing up eth0, then displays "FAILED." That
is a sure sign that the problem is with the network (a
bad ethernet cable, the modem is turned off, etc.)
rather than with Yellow Dog Linux.

> Then after "ifdown ppp0" the 'adsl-status' gives the
> following output: adsl-status:Link is down(can't
read
> pppoe PID file /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe)
> I tried find that /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe
> file manually and with no luck.

I have a file in that position. It consists of a
single number (1025 in my case). I assume it was
created by /sbin/adsl-setup.

I hope this gives you some things to troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>