adsl internet

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 8 08:46:01 2004

Mr. Jegorovas:

LEONIDAS JEGOROVAS <zydas AT tiscali DOT co DOT uk>
wrote:
> And when I restart my computer I get two errors:
> eth0: failed
> ppp0: failed

For some reason, your computer is not recognizing your
DSL connection at startup. From my *LIMITED*
experience, this could be due to several problems:

[] do you have the correct username and password for
your DSL?

[] are you connected directly to the DSL modem, or do
you have a router or hub? (try connecting directly)

[] DSL modem is flakey -- turn off computer and modem,
let it rest for one minute, turn the modem on again,
wait until the lights stop blinking, then restart your
computer

[] ethernet card is bad -- can you connect to a local
network from your ethernet?

[] ethernet cable is bad -- does your ethernet cable
work with another network? Are you using a crossover
cable instead of a regular cable?

[] phone jack is bad -- at my house, the DSL
connection works from the phone wires in some rooms
and not in others; the DSL requires that all six phone
wires be active, and in older homes, only two wires
are active

Maybe some of these ideas will help you troubleshoot.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>