What's the best program for ripping CDs

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 15 09:41:01 2004

Mr. Mandy:

Thanks!

James Mandy <james AT cybix DOT com DOT au> wrote:
> GRIP?
> Clint wrote:
> > I want to rip some CDs using my Wallstreet
> > PowerBook running Yellow Dog Linux 3.0. What
> > is the best program to rip CDs to MP3 format?
> > Does this program recognize the CDDB database
> > of CD names and tracks?

<http://nostatic.org/grip/>

"Grip is a cd-player and cd-ripper for the Gnome
desktop. It has the ripping capabilities of cdparanoia
builtin, but can also use external rippers (such as
cdda2wav). It also provides an automated frontend for
MP3 (and other audio format) encoders, letting you
take a disc and transform it easily straight into
MP3s. Internet disc lookups are supported for
retrieving track information from disc database
servers."

Grip is included in the YDL distribution:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/software/included/details.php?s_cat_disp=&cat_disp=&app_id=466>

Grip looks like a great solution to all my needs. I
installed it on my Mandrake x86 machine, and (after a
brief choke), it recognized the first CD I stuck  in
my drive. I imagine Grip will be just as good, if not
better on my Wallstreet running YDL.

Again, thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint