Eth0 failed?

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 20 10:02:00 2004

Is it a crossover or patch cable?
I'm using a crossover cable and it works splendidly.

- a patch cable is used to connect a computer to a hub or switch.
- a crossover cable is used to connect a computer to a computer, with
no hub/switch in between.

So, I've got this pile of cables; they're not marked. How can I tell
if a cable is a crossover cable or a patch cable?

Visually, a crossover cable and a patch cable are almost identical.
In fact they are made of the same stuff. The difference is how the
ENDS of the cables are made, and in particular the order of wiring at
the ends of the cabling (encased in what is called an RJ-45 jack).

If you hold the two ends of a mystery cable next to each other with
the same side up (with the clasp side down, for instance) and look at
the color order of the internal wiring in the RJ-45 jack and you see
that the colored wiring:

is the same order: then it's a patch cable.
is in different order: then it's a crossover cable.

Get a crossover cable.