MIPS (SGI Octane2) Kernel?

Atro TOssavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Feb 21 23:13:01 2004

David,

> Anyone had luck with one of the MIPS kernels circulating on SGI
> hardware?  I've been thinking about putting Linux on my Octane2, and
> didn't know whether or not any of the specialized hardware in it would
> be supported.

No.

<URL:http://www.linux-mips.org/hardware.html>

This is quite off topic on YDL, but as a long-time SGI admin and user
it is my opinion that Linux on SGI is best forgotten.

SGI used to support some sort of a Linux port to the Indy.  It even
supported (completely unaccelerated) graphics.  It appears that the
Linux/MIPS project has carried on that work.  You can also run Linux
on an Indigo2, but you can't get any graphics at all, not even a text
console on the graphics screen, you have to use a serial console.

On an Octane, you can't get even that far.  There is no way you can get
anything useful out of the box without IRIX.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,