PowerBookG4 Video and CD - Cross post.

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 23 11:44:01 2004

Yes, it's obviously fubar'd and will never work again.  Please feel
free to put it in a box and mail it to me for proper disposal.  We
don't want our landfills full of broken computers do we?  Just
kidding.

Poking a straightened out paperclip in a drive's manual eject hole
(if it has a manual eject hole; many don't these days) unlatches the
drive and should let you pull the drawer open.

During startup, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination
to enter Open Firmware, type "eject cd" in lower case letters, then
hit return.

Any of these two should work to get the CD out and then you can put
the YDL disc in there reboot and type rescue at a boot prompt this
should be enouh to help you repair your system.

Good luck!

--- "Butler, Thomas E. (US SSA)" <thomas.butler@baesystems.com>
wrote:
> I have a PowerBook G4 using ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 video and have
> encountered two problems:
>

> (1)     Although 16 bit (and, I think , 24 bit color) originally
> worked
> OK, failure of these color modes begin intermittently recently with
> the
> symptom that at bootup the startup of Xwindows would fail.
>
> This problem has degraded to no longer be intermittent, and at last
> boot
> up, I could only get 8 bit color, which looks awful.
>

> (2) The second problem resulted from undoubtedly incorrect actions
> took to address the first.  Now I have a machine that hangs on boot
> up
> and I can't figure out how to get the CD out of the drive so I can
> reinstall the OS.  Any ideas on this ?
>

> Tom Butler

=====
--Norberto Quintanar

"You belong to something bigger. From birth. And your life is spent rediscovering the underlying principles, through various players -- coaches, mentors, teachers, spouses, kids. It's in your genes. Your responsibility. Destiny. Is all on you.  Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
--Norberto Quintanar