Ibook Modem Support.

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 23 16:01:02 2004

To summarise a recent discussion on this list:

Later iBooks have a soft-modem requiring a driver, but your iBook 500
should have a regular modem. Mine does. The modem device is /dev/ttyS0.
Configure Minicom to use this device, then try sending a few ATI
commands.

A soft modem will return something like this:
ATI3
hcfsbmodem-0.98msibrta02090200ppc

ATI4
Conexant HCF Cadmus2 56K Faxmodem USB

A hard modem should return this:
ATI3
V2.400F5-V90_2M_DLS

ATI4
Apple Internal Modem

If you have a hard modem you don't need to install anything special. I
use the KDE dialer KPPP to connect to my ISP using my iBook's internal
modem. Be sure to send an ATM0 command to the modem before dialing to
disable the speaker or it won't work.

Greg