netatalk shares mount on OS9, not OS 10.2.8

Henry Olders yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 24 07:18:33 2004

On Sunday, Feb 22, 2004, at 03:25 Canada/Eastern, Tim Seufert wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2004, at 3:43 PM, Henry Olders wrote:
>
>> Any idea how I can get OS 10 to log in to netatalk?
>
> Have you tried setting up netatalk for TCP/IP as well as Appletalk?
> I've never had the impression that 10's AppleTalk implementation was
> anything more than legacy support, so it may work better with TCP/IP.
>
> (Even under 9 I'd use AppleShare over TCP/IP.  It's usually a lot
> faster than AppleTalk.)

I managed to solve my problem! I had had afpd.conf set to use both
TCP/IP and DDP; with this setup, the shares showed up when I used
"connect to servers..." in OS 10, but login failed. When I disabled DDP
(the original AppleTalk) the shares didn't show up at all; but
disabling AppleTalk over TCP/IP and enabling over DDP happily fixed the
problem! Although as you point out, Tim, probably at a speed hit.
However, slow file sharing is better than no file sharing!