YDL - newbie question

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 24 20:05:02 2004

At 01:14 +0000 on 2004-2-25 Thierry de Coulon wrote:

 > On Tuesday 24 February 2004 22:48, Sam Martin wrote:
 > > Next thing I did was go to OF, and tried to boot a zImage I had using this
 > > root partiton, when I do that while booting I get "spuerblock does not
 > > exist, or /dev/sda3 does not exist"... I cant find ay sda under /dev.
 > >
 > > Can anyone point me to the mistake I might be making ?
 >
 > sda? Does thisd mean you installed on a scsi disk?

No, this is the G5's SATA which is viewed as /dev/sda (sdb, etc.).  If
you initialized the disk using the MacOS-side utilities, /dev/sda3 is
impossible as a root partition.  The MacsOS drivers are installed in
the first partitions, typically up to /dev/sda8 or something.  So your
bootstrap partition ends up being /dev/sda9, the root partition even
higher.  Could it be /dev/sda13 instead of /dev/sda3?

In any case, partition 3 is weird, may I suggest doing a manual
partitioning?  This way at least you are sure what is your root.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.