G5 success anyone?

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 08:13:01 2004

At 17:02 -0500 on 2004-2-24 Tom St.Clair wrote:

 > I've been struggling to boot the G5-test pkg. I've got a 1.8DP. Install
 > and partitioning goes fine except when I reboot, yaboot fails to find
 > my bootstrap. And for some reason I can't mount my cdrom or my root
 > partition. Bootstrap=#2, Root=#3, OSX=#4, Swap=#5. I always get an
 > error re: 2, Unable to open file, Invalid device. Anybody familiar w/
 > what's goin' on? Tom

Is the OF path right in yaboot.conf?  Mine wasn't (quite a while ago
though, thought this has been fixed).  Try booting off the install CD,
i.e. do

    linux root=/dev/sda3

and the `boot:' prompt, then run

    ofpath /dev/sda

and record the result, then edit /etc/yaboot.conf and alter if
necessary the device setting putting in there whatever is returned by
the above command.  My device ended up as

    device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:

Inspect the file while you are at it for obvious inconsistencies.
Finally run

    ybin -v

and reboot (hopefully from the hard disk).  It worked for me (dual
2GHz) when I got the `invalid device' error, hope it also works for
you.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.