OpenOffice translator for AppleWorks?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 26 13:09:01 2004

Dr. Koch:

"D. B. Koch" <dbk AT utk DOT edu> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any AppleWorks (*.cwk)
> translators available for OpenOffice? If not, are
> any in the works?

I am not aware of any (though I would be happy to be
proven wrong). That I know of, there are two options
to open AppleWorks documents in another application
such as OpenOffice.org. Both options work from the Mac
side, however.

[1] Open the file in AppleWorks (a fine, if dated,
application, by the way), choose "Save as..." from the
File menu, and export as an RTF document.

[2] Open Microsoft Word (spit) for the Mac, choose
"Open..." from the File menu, make sure the "Enable:"
widget reads "All Readable Documents," and import
directly into Microsoft Word. Then save as RTF, or
your favorite format.

In my experience, Microsoft Word opens AppleWorks
documents better than AppleWorks itself will export to
RTF. Even Apple's own TextEdit in Mac OS X will not
open AppleWorks documents. :-( This kind of behavior
makes a really good argument for open standards.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint

=====