5 newbie questions... ;) (KPPP, MOL, KDE, GAIM, YDL 4?)

Jason Kibbe yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 27 19:55:02 2004

1:
I have YDL 3.0 running on my ibook, and KPPP seems to work ok, but I have
2 minor issues.  First, if for some reason I get disconnected, according
to KPPP the modem is still busy, and I haven't been able to use it
without restarting my system.  If I query the modem with KPPP, it says
that it's busy, and if I reset the modem using the KPPP modem terminal,
it says "ready" within the terminal, but busy everywhere else!

My other issue is, that after any restart, when I launch KPPP it asks for
the root password to continue.  I logged in as root and used Konqueror to
change permissions, for KPPP, but it didn't change anything.  So either I
didn't change the permissions after all, I changed permissions for the
wrong file, or I'm missing something.  Also, if I when I launch KPPP,
either the panel or the shortcuts on the desktop become disabled while
KPPP is in use.  When I close KPPP a popup window says something about
KPPP not able to launch KPPP init (though it works fine)

2:
I'm using YDL 3.0, and I tried downloading a new icon set and theme from
kde-look.org (I think...).  I used Konqueror to expand the files, but KDE
doesn't seem to recognize the theme file.  Also, when I try to use the
icon set, it seems to recognize each icon (there are 100's of them!)
individually.

Any ideas how to customize KDE 3.1-8a???

3:
I'm trying to use MOL (OS 9) on the YDL 3.0 system on my blueberry ibook.
 I first ran 'molconfig' and setup my 800 x 600 display, then tried to
'startmol' using a terminal under KDE.  The initial boot screens looked
fine (low-res, but fine), but the final desktop looks pretty fuzzy.  I
changed to the plainest desktop wallpaper I had, but it still looks
terrible...

Any advice?

4:
The version of GAIM that comes with YDL 3.0 does not have support for
MSN.  I tried to download a newer version of GAIM, but found myself with
a pile of dependencies.  I tried to use 'yum,' but I've yet to list all
of the updates to get any farther.  It will list a few dozen at a time
then disconnect/timeout.  I don't know how else to get all of the files
that I need.  I've never used 'apt.' (or whatever it's called!)

How can I get GAIM with both AIM and MSN services???

5:
When is a new version of YDL coming out.  It seems like we may be due for
a new release or update.  Just curious :)

Thanks so much!!!

I appreciate any advice or assistance!  I'm new to Linux in general, and
this is the second time that I've tried YDL on my ibook.  I was less
successful with 2.3 and hope to be more successful with 3.1 or 4.0 or
whatever comes out next (or even just 3.0!)!!!