yellowdog-general digest, Vol 1 #1328 - 13 msgs

Kevin B.Hendricks yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 29 08:56:01 2004

BTW

>> OpenOffice.org
>> doesn't fit the bill (surprisingly, I find that poor
>> font support, rather than forms, to be the biggest
>> issue).

OOo font use is improving significantly.  With the forthcoming OOo
1.1.1 plus a nice new Wizard called FontOOo (that is currently in
development), I can easily and automatically download and install the
MS metrically compatible fonts from Sourceforge and the URW standard 35
postscript fonts and Luxi  all by simply running the Wizard [and the
Wizard runs cross-platform and works on MacOSX Panther under X11, Linux
x86 ppc, Sparc, S390, FreeBSD, WIN]

What makes things even nicer, is that with my latest build of OOo 1.1.1
for MacOSX Panther (running X11), now I get complete cross-platform
layout of my documents and documents that get sent to me from MS Word
using WIN users (via the MS fonts available from Sourceforge) and have
them appear identically on my YDL 3 ppc Linux system as well).   So I
can finally edit and change documents on all of my platforms without
messing anything up for any of the other platforms.

You are absolutely right that good MS metrically compatible fonts are
key to good cross-platform and mixed platform use.  That is why we
developed the FontOOo Wizard for OOo to ease the download, unpacking
and install of the MS fonts (Times New Roman, Arial, Courier, etc)
available from SourceForge).  If I use that wizard just once on each of
my platforms that runs OOo 1.1.1, I can watch the all of the layout and
irregularities of opening strange MS Word documents go completely away!

FWIW,

Kevin
PPC Linux, MacOSX X11 Porting Team for OpenOffice.org