YDL in Mac OS X Hints today

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 29 09:00:01 2004

Mr. Bruda:

Hey, thanks for taking up the flag with this conversation!

Stefan Bruda wrote:

>You may want to try pbbuttonsd as pmud replacement. It seems better
>at detecting new hardware (I am using version 0.5.4b).

My understanding is that pmud and pbbuttonsd work in concert. For
instance, pbbuttonsd cannot be started unless pmud is first active (on
an Old World Wallstreet PowerBook G3). In any event, both are active on
my Wallstreet (or inactive, as the case may be... sniff -- I miss my
Wallstreet).

>The usual Unix copy and paste (select to copy, middle click to paste)
>works for me in any application I can think of (including Mozilla,
>OpenOffice). Am I missing something here?

Try typing something in Konsole (say, a URL), select it, choose copy
from the menu. Switch to Mozilla and paste into the URL field. Does this
work for you? (Mind you, this must be done using the versions of konsole
and mozilla that ship with YDL 3.0 or later.) If this works for you,
then I have something configured incorrectly.

>I have never understood why people are shy when it comes from
>compiling from sources.  I agree that the RPM-ed version of many
>applications is ancient, that's why about half of my applications are
>built from sources.  Except for the odd package now and then the build
>process implies typing ./configure; make; make install and that's it.

I have never successfully installed software in that fashion (though
hope springs eternal). I see cryptic dependencies, and I am immediately
lost. I am very much one of Mr. Welch's non-geeks, though, ironically,
by local standards I *am* a geek. Software compilation is next on my
learning curve list.

But, you are right. We're really, really close with Yellow Dog Linux
(that pmud/pbbuttonsd and the like work at all is a minor miracle).
Linux for x86 is much further along because it receives a lot more
attention (heck, BSD on Mac OS X receives more attention). However, I
see the day in the near-to-middle future in which Linux is absolutely
mainstream, and everything "just works." That will be a great day.

Best wishes,
Clint