TeX, Lies, and Yellow Dog Linux (was: YDL in Mac OS X Hints today)

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 29 15:04:00 2004

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:17:35AM -0800, Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> > If you want to use it really quickly the
> > "LaTeX: A Document Preparation System" (by
> > Leslie Lamport, Addison Wesley, 1994) is a
> > must (learning by examples tends to be
> > slower).
>
> Thanks -- I will look for it.

There are a number of useful introductory articles that are freely
downloadable from CTAN sites or mirrors (see
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/CTAN.sites).

   http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
   http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/epslatex.pdf
   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes

Personally I write LaTeX using emacs with the auctex
(http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/) package, this can be combined
with the preview-latex (http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net/) package
to give an even more graphical front end.  I have not tried Lyx, but I
started with LaTeX long enough ago that I don't feel a great need for
a graphical front end.  It did not take long for me to be convinced it
was the best way to go and when I see people struggling with Word and
its inadequate output I am even more convinced.

--
Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering