YDL 3.01 on Second partition?

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 2 06:09:01 2004

Tony,   I haven't been following this thread closely so not exactly sure
if you are New World. If you are Old World, I can't help you, and you
should discount what follows.
(1) The usual caveats: When you're doing configuration at the level of
yaboot you're making very basic changes & can screw things up royally if
you're not careful.
(2) You will of course be working as root in order to make changes to
yaboot.conf.
(3) Do not proceed until you have read this tutorial on yaboot--it's the
best place on the subject to start that I know of:
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/

Tony Clark wrote:

> Excellent; I followed the instructions and deleted the second
> partition.  After a bit of fiddling to make it boot from the CD
> again,  I successfully installed YDL on the old 10GB partition by
> using the  'use free space' option.  The only remaining issue is that
> yaboot  didn't have the MacOSX partition in its config, so to boot
> back into  OSX I had to use the startup DVD which has probably trashed
> the yaboot  in firmware.  As I know nothing (yet) of YDL, can someone
> please point  me at how I'd configure yaboot to see the OSX partition
> and then how I  might re-flash with the yaboot config?

(4) Here is a copy of the relevant parts of my /etc/yaboot.conf:

[harvey@dawg harvey]$ cat /etc/yaboot.conf
boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
timeout=300
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=ydl

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8e
        label=ydl
        partition=4
        root=/dev/hda4
        read-only
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8e.img
        append="hdb=ide-scsi"

macosx=/dev/hda3
delay=30
enablecdboot
enableofboot

#Remember to run ybin!!!
[harvey@dawg harvey]$

I have deliberately omitted parts of it for simplicity (I actually have
an older ydl kernel configured, plus a Debian & a Gentoo install, in
addition to the OSX install), but it gives you the idea for config'ng
macosx to be presented as a boot option when you first boot up. >>Note
especially the line near the bottom:  macosx=/dev/hda3

(5) Note also the commented line at the end:   #Remember to run ybin!!!
  If you don't run ybin after your re-configure, the changes will not be
written/configured.

(6) If you are just writing yaboot.conf for a simple ydl/macosx dual
boot, I would actually write the yaboot.conf a little differently from
the above. But a thorough reading of the tutorial I gave you the link to
should give you all the info you need for doing your own specific
config. If you have questions, just re-post.

Hope this helps--good luck.    --Harvey