yum and bluefish - Completely baffled

John Kebbel yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 2 08:02:01 2004

	Nothing I have seen about yum explains how it works in terms that match
my observations, problems, and questions on my first-time use. Could I
get a reality check from someone familiar with the product? If I type
	sudo yum install bluefish
yum begins downloading a list of headers, which I assume contains a list
of dependency files yum needs to update itself. Once it finds them--and
downloads them--, it begins searching for the package (and the
headers/dependency files) I requested. Then it installs the package.
Question 1: Is this description of the process correct?
	I kept getting an error 104, Connection reset by peer message, but I
kept rerunning the command and eventually got everything downloaded.
Then I got an error message "Cannot find a package matching bluefish"
	At the bluefish web site, the apt command is displayed as apt-get
install bluefish, so I ASSUME bluefish is the correct package name.
Question 2: why couldn't yum find bluefish? I could swear I remember
seeing it listed on the YDL site as something we could download. (Again,
I ASSUME that's where yum is looking.)
	Question 3: how would yum know where to look for bluefish? The
documentation didn't show inserting urls in the commands.