YDL, Firewire, and SCSI devices

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 5 09:16:01 2004

This post is mostly as a head's up and something to go into the
archives for anyone who is trying to work with a bootable firewire
drive.  I ran into this problem with an XServe, but it can happen with
any expandable system.

Using two HOWTO's on the topic (http://131.204.27.45/ydl-howto/ and
http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-
October/010501.html) I had great success in creating a firewire drive
that would boot on my Power Mac and my iBook.

However, we hit a snag on the XServe.  The XServe has an Atto SCSI card
in it with 2 interfaces.  The CD drive in this XServe is not a burner
(if it is, we'll be surprised).

The system would boot but it would complain that it couldn't find the
root device was the complaint.  Odd, because it was booting from that
drive, after all!

We noticed that when it was "scanning" for SCSI devices, the firewire
drive wasn't reported when it was found like it was with the iBook and
PowerBook.  We scanned SCSI 0 and 1.  Well, that made sense, because
the Atto is SCSI 0 and SCSI 1.  So we added "scanning" for SCSI 2.
Still no-go.

SCSI 3 did the trick.  So we have the initrd boot process looking for
32 SCSI devices on SCSI 0-3.  That did it.  The Atto is 0 and 1 and the
firewire drive is 3.  We have no clue where 2 is referring.  Perhaps
someone who knows the kernel and boot process better does.

Perhaps with more checking I'd have the answer, but I'm not running
that firewire drive right now, so I cannot tell.  I should be working
with it tomorrow so I may respond to this message then with more
detail.

Hope this helps someone out there to save some time :)

-Michael