OSX 10.3 upgrade fix problems associated with 10.2.8?

ebolean yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jan 5 11:43:01 2004

Hi,

I think I have several issues that are preventing successful operation of
YDL 3.0.1  The one addressed in this query is associated with trying to
install and run YDL 3.0.1 on a G4 powermac that had been updated to OSX
10.2.8 prior to the attempt to install YDL (I know, I know).  The other
issues that are probably involved are installation to a second drive (not
containing OSX), and use of an LCD monitor (and probably others of which I
am not yet aware).

My question is - will upgrading OSX from 10.2.8 to 10.3 fix the problem that
was introduced by 10.2.8 or are the vestigial remains of alterations induced
by 10.2.8 still there and preventing successful booting into YDL 3.0.1.  I
have made the change to 10.3 but am still having problems with YDL.

I seem to be able to install YDL 3.0.1 successfully but when I reboot I
don't see the yaboot menu and can't seem to access it and end up in OSX (the
default I set during installation).  Any suggestions?

While I'm here:

 - I have the original ATI Rage 128 with 16mb memory attached to a Sony LCD
(X75, I think - it's at home and I'm not).  When I reboot after installing
linux, I get a message that the signal is out of range - which I think (in
part) is why I don't see the yaboot menu.  Is there a way to fix this?

- I am installing YDL on a second hard drive which is in the first position
and jumpered as master.  I have two partitions.  The first is HFS and the
second is free space onto which I am installing YDL - created with OSX Disk
Utility.  I formatted the YDL partitions manually during the installation.
Is there anything else that I need to be aware of.  I have seen some info
about ordering of partitions, but as best I could tell, that did not apply
to this installation.

Any insights appreciated.  I'm not sure which of these or other problems to
try to resolve first.

If this should more appropriately be posted on the newbie board, appreciate
hearing that too.

Thanks.

Bob