Firewire enclosure doesn't work in 3.0.1

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 14 17:36:01 2004

I just got a firewire enclosure for a 20Gb HDD I have.  I've use the
HDD several times and never had trouble with it.

When I plug the firewire beastie into my system running OSX, it
complains that it doesn't recognize the format and asks if I want to
initialize it.  Fine, but I don't want to...

So I boot into YDL 3.0.1 (where I *do* plan to use it) and plug it in
and... nothing.

I boot w/o it turned on and then fire it up when the system is booted.
I then manually load the ieee1394, ohci1394, and sbp2 kernel modules.
They all load fine, but I get a complaint about "non-standard ROM
format" and the drive is never connected to my system (as scsi1) like
my Glyph enclosed drives were.

The enclosure had an Oxford OSFW911 1394a-to-IDE link controller and a
TI TSB41AB2 1394a PHY (whatever that is).  Is either of these chipsets
known to be bad?

I remember that there's a jumper (set for Master, I'd guess) on the
drive still...  would that make a difference?  I'm trying to determine
if I have a legitimate complaint to return the enclosure...

If anyone has any info, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks!
-Michael