Your Honest opinion

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 16 15:10:02 2004

I agree with Norberto--it is a loaded question. Depends on what you want
from your OS. I used OSX exclusively for awhile after I bought this
iMac--and then I just >had< to get back to Linux (even though to be sure
it sometimes is a pain in the butt!). Most of the pre-rolled stuff in
OSX is stuff I'll never use, and the production applic's I tried (word
processor, spreadsheet) I found really unsatisfactory. Of course you can
install fink & bring in Mac compatible versions of open source stuff
like Abiword and Gnumeric--I did, and it was 'way more trouble than it
was worth.

And I found OSX really opaque if I needed to figure anything out that
wasn't already set up as a button to click. (Yeah I know, there's
Darwin; but whenever I got into it I got pretty frustrated--admittedly,
probably because I was used to bash.)

And have you tried the "Help" system in OSX??!! It is astounding that
Apple can get away with such an unmitigated piece of crap!

OSX is like Windows in that it is designed for, and is probably the
right solution for, someone with a plug&play approach to use of his
computer. Linux appeals to someone cantankerous enough not to want
someone else trying to determine how he should do things.

How cantankerous are you?    --Harvey