Your honest opinion

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 17 21:25:03 2004

Mr. Auge:

Well said!

Ray Auge <rayauge AT doublebite DOT com> wrote:
> Oh, Oh, Can I put in my two cents??

Well, if Mr. Auge can put in two cents, then so can I!
:-)

> What I love about Linux in general is exactly
> this. These beautifully, interesting and
> energetic discussions on lists concerning every
> topic imaginable, [...]

I think the Yellow Dog Lists and the Yellow Dog
community are a little better than average in this
respect. :-)

> Have YOU visited a Windows/OS X base list
> lately???

As a fan (a critical fan, but a fan, nonetheless) of
Mac OS X, I take a *little* exception to that opinion.
I agree, however, that we Macintosh fans have a
tendency to be a bit smug about our favorite platform.
(Sadly, a few Linux lists can be merciless to newbies
-- an exception, but an ugly one.)

> It's all about sharing, learning and having fun.
> [...]
> If this can be a way for the future, it gives me
> great hope.

Like I wrote, well said. Mr. Auge! I think that there
are a few things that the Linux community is eager to
learn from the Macintosh (things like well-defined
human interface guidelines), but the open, sharing,
problem-solving approach to software is something no
one does better than the GNU/Linux folks. Fortunately,
the Mac OS X community is starting to inherit some of
the open approach from the influx of Unix and Linux
developers and users. I think everyone will win with
this combination.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>