new kernel

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 21 15:52:01 2004

Martin,
Looks to me as if the problem is that you do not have any boot image for
your new kernel 2.4.23 configured in yaboot.conf. You can re-write
yaboot.conf with the new boot image placed before the old one. Below is
a copy of my yaboot.conf after I updated to a new kernel, but chose to
keep the old image as a backup/failsafe.
**Please >do not< simply copy my config, substituting your own values.
Know what you're doing before making changes to something so basic as
your yaboot config.
**Best place to start for basic tutorial on yaboot is this link (you are
well advised >not< to proceed until you have studied the tutorial
thoroughly):
http://penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/
**Note commented line at the bottom of my yaboot.conf. You >must< run
ybin after making changes to your yaboot.conf, else the changes you
wrote will not be configured.

My yaboot.conf:

boot=/dev/hda2
device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/disk@0:
init-message="Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"
timeout=300
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
default=ydl