User Privileges

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jan 22 19:53:01 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 18:18, John Kebbel wrote:
> My /etc/fstab file reads ...
>
> /dev/sdb1	/mnt/memstick	msdos	noauto,user,exec,nodev	0	0
>
> for the flash drive, but when I type mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/memstick as
> myself, I get this message ...
>
> mount: only root can do that
>
> If I switch to root, or logout and log back in as root, I can type the
> command and access the drive. The same is true for the zip disk, which
> reads in fstab as
>
> /dev/sda4	/mnt/zip	msdos	noauto,user,rw	0	0

I dealt the same situation recently as I've been configuring my external
devices. here comes my diary!

At first I followed these instructions for the CD-ROM:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_3.0/kudzu-cd-fix.shtml

The same steps would not work for the jaz and floppy it gave me the same
message as you (only root can do that, or mount: must be superuser to
use mount)

This alone was not enough.

1-I did a simple (as root/su) <chmod u+s /bin/mount> result: mount: must
be super user to use mount.

2-I activated ALL the checkboxes (LOL) found at:
Kmenu>SystemSettings>User and Groups, Properties button, Groups tab.
I've set Primary Group as 'root'

..not enough..

3-Clicked ALL the checkboxes found on the Permissions tab of the floppy
and jaz desktop icon. Also set the Group to "adm".

4-Started to play with /etc/fstab. This is how the file look right now.

[andrew@virgule andrew]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc8     /                  ext3    defaults        1 1
none          /dev/pts           devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/sda5     /home              ext3    defaults        1 2
none          /proc              proc    defaults        0 0
none          /dev/shm           tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda6     /usr               ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdc7     swap               swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom         udf,iso9660 noauto,users,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/floppy   /mnt/floppy        auto    defaults,noauto,user,rw 1 2
/dev/jaz      /mnt/jaz           auto    defaults,noauto,user,rw 1 2

I dunno why I put <1 2> at the end of the floppy and jaz line. I've been
doing Trial&Fail.

This is clearly NOT the best way to setup those peripherals but it
actually worked!