User Privileges

Thomas Kuehner yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 23 11:44:00 2004

Hi John

why don't you use 'sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/memstick' using your=20
regular user password when asked for?

Your username may have to be added to /etc/sudoers before using a copy=20=

from the root entry to allow you to use 'sudo'.

Simply enter 'su' in the terminal and enter you root password.

Then type 'pico /etc/sudoers &' and add the entry. Hit Cntrl-X and give=20=

a 'Y' for yes and you are done.

Good luck!

Thomas

0

>> for the flash drive, but when I type mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/memstick as
>> myself, I get this message ...
>>
>> mount: only root can do that
>>
> I guess you should be able to do that as a user with "mount=20
> /mnt/memstick", 'cause "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/memstick" is priveleged=20=

> command.
>
> Andriy
>

>> If I switch to root, or logout and log back in as root, I can type =
the
>> command and access the drive. The same is true for the zip disk, =
which
>> reads in fstab as
>> /dev/sda4	/mnt/zip	msdos	noauto,user,rw	0	0

Thomas Kuehner
IT-Trainer & Sys-Admin

<http://www.macgix.com>
--
The mail adress <secure@macgix.com> is capable of receiving PGP or=20
GnuPG encrypted mail. It is strongly recommended to send mail encrypted=20=

instead of clear text!

Die Mail-Adresse <secure@macgix.com> ist in der Lage mit PGP oder GnuPG=20=

verschl=FCsselte Mail zu empfangen. Es wird strengstens empfohlen, Mail=20=

verschl=FCsselt zu senden anstatt als lesbaren Text.

Keyserver: ldap://keyserver.pgp.com