Autoresponder w/ Sendmail

Drew Lane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jan 31 13:44:01 2004

Stefan Bruda wrote:

>Take a look at /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>and change the line
>
>dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')

Works like a charm.  Thanks.

BTW, this line was not already in my sendmail.mc file.

The only problem I can see with using SMART_HOST is that
sometimes the mail doesn't get returned to you when you send
it to a bad address, but that's no problem if it's just for vacation.
(Maybe it just doesn't know where to go?)

FYI, apparently there is a little bug in vacation with respect
to using aliases - you have to edit the .forward file manually
to make this work with sendmail.

I think I will eventually try procmail but this is good for now.

Regards,

Drew