12" G4/800 iBook video question

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 8 15:43:01 2004

--Apple-Mail-1--653525520

According to the YDL site there is no good solution at this time for X
on this machine.

iBook 2003 G4 (800, 933, 1GHz) Radeon 9200

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR
Maximum number of colors: thousands
2D acceleration: No
3D acceleration: No
Kernel arguments: none
X Configuration: None
Dual head: No
Notes: Flickery console/X-Windows. Wait for an update.

David C. Hacker, DVM
On Jul 8, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Charles Pillsbury wrote:

> Many apologies if I'm asking the obvious (I've hunted but have not
> found any archive with answers to my question).
>
> I've used linux for years, but only recently purchased my first PPC
> system and I'm trying to get yellow dog working with my ibook G4.  The
> install worked in text mode, and I'm able to log in and use command
> line, but getting X to work is causing me trouble.   It's been so long
> since I've had to troubleshoot X windows that I can't remember
> anything.
>
> If I try and run a startX with anything but the frame buffer driver
> (running at about 4 colors it seems) it craps out saying unable to
> connect to 0:0 or no displays available.  The XFree86 config file I've
> tried tweaking but nothing gets it working past the fugly 4 color
> method...  When started in the 4 color one I can't find a driver under
> the display settings for the Radeon Mobility 9200 (and none of the
> other ATI drivers work).
>
> I'm sure you'll need more info on this, but that's what I've got off
> the top of my head, I'll try and cut and paste the actual output once
> I get back home on my network.
>
> Thanks for any and all help you can give me.
>
> CharlesP

--Apple-Mail-1--653525520

According to the YDL site there is no good solution at this time for X
on this machine.

2003 G4 (800, 933, 1GHz) Radeon 9200

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR

Maximum number of colors: thousands

2D acceleration: No

3D acceleration: No

Kernel arguments: none

X Configuration: None

Dual head: No

Notes: Flickery console/X-Windows. Wait for an update.

David C. Hacker, DVM

<excerpt>Many apologies if I'm asking the obvious (I've hunted but