[OT] YDL 4.0

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 13 00:31:01 2004

I've been participating in the testing (I'm making sure it works on
OldWorld PowerMacs.) of the new Debian Installer that will come
with Debian 3.1.  It's still very much pre-beta, but when it's
released , I predict that you'll like it.

In the mean time, Debian 3.0 (called "woody") works great on Mac
hardware, and once you have it installed you can use apt, or one of
it's smart front-ends like aptitude, to update the rather old
applications programs (circa 2002, but still secure -- the Debian
folks make a big point of keeping all their supported releases up
to the latest security patch level!) to the latest level from the
"testing" repositories (leading but not bleeding edge -- the
bleeding edge apps are available too, in the "unstable"
repositories.)  (sorry for the complexity of that sentence!  It's
late...)

And yes, there are plenty of Debian apt repositories out there --
many with excellent bandwidth.

Rick