Sound

Zugwrack yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 17 13:19:01 2004

If it is an issue with Xmms only then you probably need to check your
settings to make sure it is trying to use the correct plugin(s) for
the files you are trying to play...I know for PC linux systems...ALSA
has superceded OSS and other plugins...check that as well....have you
tried enabling the KDE sounds from kontrol center? This should help
you figure out if Xmms is the only problem...

----- Original Message -----
From: sadfsdf <ydl@augustmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:04:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Sound
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com

not yet, xmms gave me an error and I just assumed it was not working at
all

Richard.Gill@math.uu.nl wrote:

    I am intrested in getting the sound on my Performa 6400 working. Could
somebody give my some information on this proceedure?

  What exactly doesn't work, sadfsdf?

I have a 6500. I guess it is quite similar.
>From time to time when I reboot, kudzu tells me at startup
that the sound card appears to have been removed.
I tell it to keep the configuration anyway. From time to time when I
start xmms I am told that the sound card needs to be configured
but I click away warning messages, and press the "play" button again, ...
and this works. Once or twice in the past I ran the "Soundcard Detection"
system settings program, or kudzu to see if it would redect the soundcard.
It all seems quite random, but anyway, I do have sound!

This is a strange machine. It just spend a month appearing to be totally
dead, and after trying many things I was on the point of ordering a new
motherboard from Olde Mac Milt (I had already tried a new powersupply)
when I discovered that REMOVING the battery brought it back to life!
[there had been no previous signs that the battery was run down, till
one morning the whole thing just refused to start. No sign of life at all].
I am looking forward to seeing whether my (minor) sound problems will
have gone entirely, when my new battery arrives in a day or two.

But in the meantime I have another suggestion: have you tried replacing
the battery?  ;-)

Yours
Richard Gill

http://www.math.uu.nl/people/gill