Clint's 3 Duos

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 20 07:34:01 2004

Clinton MacDonald wrote:

> > i was dreaming of using the duo with
> > a null modem connection
> > and X to surf the internet in monochrome
> > not possible?
>
> You can probably do that now! Install some decent version of the
> Macintosh OS on your Duo (say, System 7.5.5).

7.5.5 would work quite nicely. OpenTransport is supported.

Not familiar with the Duos, do they have a PCMCIA slot? If so there
are  several etherent adaptors and the original Orinoco wifi cards
work well under 7.5.5.

You could also network them using IP over appletalk. Around 1990 I built
a router out of a 286 pc and two etherent cards to let my SE/30 connect
to an rs/6000. There were similar devices for localtalk and at least one
software package. I think in the end it was released for free by Apple.

I think there was a version of Netscape that would run on them, but
you may find problems due to the "improved" version of javascript now
in use.

> You can use SSH to connect to your PowerMac 9100:
>
> MacSSH <http://pro.wanadoo.fr/chombier/MacSSH/SSH_info.html>
> MacSFTP <http://pro.wanadoo.fr/chombier/MacSFTP/SFTP_info.html>
>
> I am still looking for a Mac
> laptop that is as small and backpackable as was my Duo 280c (the new
> 12-inch PowerBook G4 might qualify).

IMHO 1400c with g3 accelerator 64m RAM. MacOS 9.1, ethernet/wifi via pcmcia.
Active matrix screen.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel
gsm@mendelson.com gsm@gwandt.com