FreshRPMs and GIMP

Christopher Brown yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Jul 20 10:58:01 2004

> That's a bit of a problem... the final 2.0.x gimp packages on YDL 3.0 are
> quite tricky, as if you replace the 1.2.x gimp, you get broken gimp-print
> and others. Also, it requires quite a few updates to stuff like fontconfig
> (IIRC) etc. which many people aren't too keen on having changed in their
> system. The older 1.3.x beta versions I was packaging didn't require as
> many libraries to be upgraded, so it was a little easier at the time.
>
> I could check to see if it's still possible to have 2.0.x parallel
> installable with 1.2.x, in which case that could be a solution if the
> package is named "gimp2" for instance. Still, core libraries will need to
> be upgraded, which might be a mess, and later on for systems being
> upgraded to YDL 4 (when it's out), may have problems if the newer gimp
> doesn't obsolete gimp2, or if some of those libraries rebuilt for 3.0 are
> newer than the ones in 4...

Most of that is over my head but I'll take your word for it. The more I use
Linux and the more I realize just what the free in free software means the
more I begin to enjoy YDL and Linux. Being excited about using my computer
again made me forget that YDL 4 is that close. You're right, I'll just
wait. ;)

Christopher Brown