VSFTPD Problem

nathan r. hruby yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Jul 22 16:59:00 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Paul Guba wrote:

> Server is up and running however I can only connect via a secure
> connection.  I can sftp via the command line and works fine.  I would
> like to be able to connect via standard ftp.  All of my web authoring
> software works this way.  I have searched their site but find no
> reference to this issue.

vsFTPd is a FTP daemon.
SFTP, is a component of the SSh version 2 protocol.

If you have started vsftpd by doing a "service vsftpd vsftp" as root on
your linux machine, then you may need to check /etc/hosts.allow and make
sure you have access rules for the IP/hostname you are trying to get to
your box from.  you shoudl also check to make sure that ports 20 and 21
(both tcp) are open on your firewall as well.

vsftpd logs messages to /var/log/messages and /var/log/xferlog so those
are good places to look for more info.

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby@uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free