Article on IceWM

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 24 07:30:01 2004

Mr. Hirschfeld:

R. Hirschfeld wrote:
>> Now, another question: is it just the heat, or am I
>> crazy to consider using Mac OS 9.2.x for my work system?

Not crazy, though YDL and Mac OS X offer much more in the way of
stability and sensible memory use and management. Apropos of this
discussion, O'Reilly has posted an article by Giles Turnbull on some of
the advantages of Mac OS 9:

<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/07/23/os9.html>

> I use Mac OS 9.1 for apps that don't run under Linux, but
> I wouldn't want to use it as my primary work system. I
> remember why every time an app wedges and my only option is
> to reboot, losing any changes in all other open apps. No
> preemptive multitasking in OS 9, just cooperative
> multitasking, which isn't very satisfying when one of the
> processes stops cooperating.

I got used to the preemptive multitasking and memory protection *really*
fast. Now, I would hardly consider using an operating system without it
-- I can honestly say that these features changed how I use computers.
That being said, I feel that Mac OS 9 used screen real estate far more
economically than does Mac OS X or even Linux.

Best wishes,
Clint