Is OS X Becoming Too Much?

Thierry de Coulon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Jul 24 08:12:01 2004

On Saturday 24 July 2004 03:57, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> Just an observation: As I flip back and forth between Linux and Mac OS X
> (Linux has some apps -- such as Firefox and Thunderbird -- that look and
> behave better than in OS X, and OS X has some functionality not found
> in  Linux), I'm beginning to look upon the OS X Aqua GUI as being a bit
> too much, a bit too garish for my tastes.
>
> The Gnome interface is more subtle and too the point.
>
>  Anyone else go through a similar transformation in opinion?
>
> Ed

I don't think it is a transformation. MacOS "classic" was simple and efficient
(I'm speeking of the GUI, not the system). I don't know Gnome very well
because it lacks some features I love in KDE. KDE can be configured (you may
have useless thinks like animation, but you can choose a simple
configuration.

Aqua is just like Windows: regularely new features for the LOOK, not for the
user. What people get crazy about are transparent menus, animations, colours
- they don't seem to mind if you have to click ten times to confirm you want
to connect or shutdown.

Yes, I think the Aqua GUI is too much, has always been too much and won't get
better. I'd bet if Apple won't give the possibility to CHOOSE your GUI, they
know why: many would not choose Aqua ( Apple KNOWS what is better for you).

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein