Audacity

Brian McKee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:02:46 -0400

On Thursday, July 22, 2004, at 08:46  PM, Christopher Brown wrote:

> Does anyone use Audacity that can shed some light?
>
> I installed Audacity with YUM and everything went great and the
> program even starts (nice added bonus). BUT, I get an I/O error.
>

> "There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer. You will not be
> able to play or record. Error: Host error."

Ha - Got it!

I experienced exactly the same issue you did when using the yum
provided version.

I decided to install the latest version from source.  This has the
advantage
of all the latest improvements including the ability to run under KDE,
Gnome
etc. without problems.   If you are running ALSA you will have to pass
special
arguments to the configure script (not explained here)

--> forgive me if some of this is obvious - I know not your skill level,
--> and thought good notes for the mail archives would be helpful too

1 - Remove existing audacity
    su -  (to become root)
    yum remove audacity
2 - Install required dependencies
    I had a fairly tight install, so you may already have some or all of
these
    yum install wxGTK-devel   (this installed 10 other dependencies when
I ran it)
    yum install libmad-devel
    yum install gettext
    exit or Cntrl-D to go back to normal user
3 - Download sourcecode from

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/latest/audacity-src.php/audacity-
src.tar.bz2
    you might also consider downloading and installing the Vorbis, MPEG
and lame support
    I didn't, but no reason it shouldn't work
   - you might want to download the manual - has some good info about
things you can do
    that weren't immediately obvious to me anyway.
4 - Put the sourcecode in your preferred directory - I used ~ (home)
and expand with
    tar -xvjf audacity-src.tar.bz2
5 - Configure and check for errors
    ./configure
6 - Make and check for errors  (this is were missing depencies were
showing up when I built it)
    make
7 - install it watching for errors
    su -c "make install"  (su -c lets you be root for that one command)
8 - Copy the audacity icon over as root and make it world readable
    su -c "cp
/pathtosourcecode/audacity-src-1.2.1/images/AudacityLogo.xpm
/usr/share/icons/"
    su -c "chmod a+r /usr/share/icons/AudacityLogo.xpm"
9 - Fire up kmenuedit (right click on YDL start button - go to Menu
Editor) and make a new entry
    Highlight Sound and Video folder (or wherever) and hit new item
    fill in Name and Comment as preferred - path is
/usr/local/bin/audacity
    click the square to the right, choose 'other icons' and the browse
button,
    navigate to /usr/share/icons/ and the Audacity logo will be there to
click on
    then hit apply.

HTH
Brian