apt-get repository

Matthias Saou yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:50:03 +0200

Ryan Nix wrote :

> No kidding.  Matthias is great!
>
> Matthias, have you every thought about "selling" requests to make
> obscure packages availible?  Say like $10 to make something like the
> latest cvs of MaconLinux availible upon request?

Nope, let me keep my hobbies as hobbies, please! :-D
One thing I wouldn't be against, though, is if some wealthy Mac believer
wanted to donate a new PowerMac (or even better, PowerBook/iBook) to me in
order to build packages faster and actually test them ;-) Currently, I only
have an "OldWorld" Beige G3 tower I bought from a friend, with no display
connected... and no altivec, no 3D acceleration... and it takes a
loooooooooong time to compile stuff, and it requires MacOS/BootX to be able
to boot :-(
Sometimes, I can get my hands on a 400MHz G4 at work, on which firefox took
"only" 4h (*) to recompile... that's actually much faster than my 266MHz G3
:-) But hey, a few hours compiling on a single machine saves so much more
time to plenty of people, it's definitely worth it.

Back on topic : I do appreciate quick personal mails about bugs or outdated
packages in my repository, like for audacity recently. Believe it or not, I
usually fix problems and update packages pretty fast ;-)

Matthias

(*) : It took 30 minutes for the same package on a 2800+ Athlon64 and 50
minutes on a 1.7GHz Intel centrino laptop. Fun with real world numbers!

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3
Load : 0.29 0.26 0.48