X problem

R. Scott Boughton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:28:02 -0700

I've got a G5 hooked to a network. When I log onto a network user
account and try to run startx,
it doesn't work and the top of the log file /var/log/XFree86.0.log has
the following lines.

>     _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
>     _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/<hostname>:0
>     _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

I've tried modifying /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to include the line

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten inet6

but this didn't help.

It's also notable that I can create a local user, log in, and startx
works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
Scott