miboot on a 6400

sadfsdf yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:58:32 -0500

--------------070900010403040309080305

the problem is: linux never even starts to load, miboot hangs/crashes
while parseing/searching

Norberto Quintanar wrote:

>--- sadfsdf <ydl@augustmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I am trying to get miboot working on my performa 6400. I've got it
>>the point where the system recognizes that it can boot of of my
>>miboot
>>partition. But, when the system boots, I get two tux's on the same
>>screen; one in the middle of the screen thats just a normal tux,
>>and one
>>in the top left that from what I can see is a Tux with a red line
>>though
>>it. I have also found two conflicting guides to using miboot, the
>>first
>>one was more recently posted on this mailing list,
>>

>http://www.tanneryd.com/twiki/bin/view/Techstuff/YDLOnPowerCurveInstall
>

>>the second one is from a while back and is more understandable so I
>>have
>>been using it,
>>

>http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/006938.html
>

>>My directory tree for the miboot partition is like this
>>|-- System Folder (note: Mac OS has blessed the folder)
>>|   |-- Finder
>>|   |-- System
>>|   |-- boot.conf
>>|-- Linux Kernels
>>|   |-- vmlinux-2.4.22-2f
>>|   |-- vmlinux-2.24.22-2fBOOT
>>|-- ramdisk.image.gz
>>|-- boot.conf
>>
>>My boot.conf is thus:
>>
>>init-message = "\n Welcome to YDL!\Press <TAB> for boot
>>options.\n\n"
>>timeout = 50
>>
>>default = bootYDL
>>
>>image = vmlinux-2.4.22-2f
>>label = bootYDL
>>root = /dev/hda6
>>append = "video=valkyriefb3:vmode:14,cmode:8"
>>
>>image = vmlinux-2.4.22-2fBOOT
>>label = install_YDL
>>initrd = ramdisk.image.gz
>>initrd-size=16384
>>root = /dev/ram0
>>append = "video=valkyriefb3:vmode:14,cmode:8 text"
>>
>>Does anybody have an idea whats wrong?
>>

>Are you sure you have the valkyrie chipset?  Both my 6500's were
>supposed to contain the valkyrie chipset for video, but actually have
>the ati chipset.  If you do have the valkyrie it should read:
>
>"video=valkyriefb:vmode:14,cmode:8 text"
>
>not
>
>"video=valkyriefb3:vmode:14,cmode:8 text"
>                 ^
>             an extra character?

>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

--------------070900010403040309080305

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
the problem is: linux never even starts to load, miboot hangs/crashes
while parseing/searching<br>
Norberto Quintanar wrote:<br>
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">--- sadfsdf &lt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:ydl@augustmail.com">ydl@augustmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I am trying to get miboot working on my performa 6400. I've got it
the point where the system recognizes that it can boot of of my
miboot
partition. But, when the system boots, I get two tux's on the same
screen; one in the middle of the screen thats just a normal tux,
and one
in the top left that from what I can see is a Tux with a red line
though
it. I have also found two conflicting guides to using miboot, the
first
one was more recently posted on this mailing list,

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!----><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tanneryd.com/twiki/bin/view/Techstuff/YDLOnPowerCurveInstall">http://www.tanneryd.com/twiki/bin/view/Techstuff/YDLOnPowerCurveInstall</a>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">the second one is from a while back and is more understandable so I
have
been using it,

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!----><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/006938.html">http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2003-April/006938.html</a>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">

My directory tree for the miboot partition is like this
|-- System Folder (note: Mac OS has blessed the folder)
|   |-- Finder
|   |-- System
|   |-- boot.conf
|-- Linux Kernels
|   |-- vmlinux-2.4.22-2f
|   |-- vmlinux-2.24.22-2fBOOT
|-- ramdisk.image.gz
|-- boot.conf

My boot.conf is thus:

init-message = "\n Welcome to YDL!\Press &lt;TAB&gt; for boot